Veterinary nurses manage the technical workload of the day, interacting with veterinarians, front office staff, and support staff. Wise Owl Animal Hospital veterinary nurses are cross-trained in “regions” of the clinic. As nurses gain experience in our hospital, they may also be trained as laboratory technicians and surgery technicians. Nurses are effective at handling client appointments, managing surgical suites and equipment, providing patient care, conducting diagnostics, and maintaining records. Nurses must be detail oriented, able to make good decisions, respond quickly and calmly to crises, and maintain high standards of patient care.
- Determines animal requirements by conducting nurse examinations and getting patient histories from clients; reviewing care plans and records; completing laboratory tests and studies, and diagnostic imaging.
- Cares for animals by taking vital signs; collecting samples; administering medications, drugs, and vaccines; bandaging and wrapping wounds.
- Supports animal examinations by assembling required supplies and instruments; securing and bringing animals to examination room; holding animals; providing assistance as directed; explaining animal's status to owner.
- Supports operations by assembling required supplies and instruments; setting-up surgery table instruments; restraining animals; completing local/regional anesthesia; operating and monitoring anesthetic machines; hooking-up ECG monitors; preparing surgical site; placing catheters; obtaining blood gases; cleaning post-surgical site; maintaining sterile conditions; obtaining and verifying medications.
- Maintains animals by feeding and watering animals; cleaning animals' rooms, cages, and equipment; changing cages; observing for clinical signs of disease.
- Maintains safe, secure, healthy and humane environment by sterilizing and wrapping instruments; sanitizing and disinfecting holding and operating areas; storing sterile supplies; verifying shelf life; following standards and procedures; complying with legal regulations.
- Maintains animal records by documenting animal conditions, reactions, and changes; updating database.
- Maintains equipment by following operating instructions; troubleshooting breakdowns; maintaining equipment supplies; performing preventive maintenance; calling for repairs.
- Keeps supplies ready by inventorying stock; placing orders; verifying receipt.
- Updates job knowledge by participating in educational opportunities; monthly trainings/meetings and reading professional journals.
- Must be full-time during the training period.
- Enhances service reputation by accepting ownership for accomplishing new and different requests; exploring opportunities to add value to job accomplishments.
- Other duties as signed
Job Type: Part-Time and Full-Time positions available.
- High School Diploma, GED equivalent or above
- 2 -3 years of hands-on experience in an animal care related position
- Strong skills with documentation, organization, analyzing information, attention to detail, creating a safe, effective environment, patience, verbal communication, and an openness and willingness to learn.
- Must be able to spend prolonged periods of time walking and/or standing
- Knowledge of animal behavior, clinical skills, performing diagnostic procedures and use of medical terminologies a plus.
- CVT/LVT/RVT a plus
Experience is necessary to apply for the technician position. If you do not meet the qualifications listed above, please consider applying for a position as a kennel assistant or receptionist.
- 3 - 5 days a week: Sunday - Saturday
- AM shift begins 6:30 AM daily
- PM shift ends 8 or 9 PM depending on time of closing
Wise Owl Animal Hospital offers careers in the animal care field, not jobs. As such, we are dedicated to keeping a certified staff, highly-trained and knowledgable in the most recent practices of traditional and integrative veterinary medicine. Our employees take part in monthly continuing education sessions, training, and meetings. Staff at Wise Owl work hard and support each other in all departments of the hospital to provide excellent care and service to our patients and clients.
Training & Growth Opportunities:
Wise Owl offers many opportunities for growth to individuals who demonstrate strong performance, knowledge, and the embodiment of Wise Owl's core values. CVTs have the opportunity to specialize and grow in their careers at our hospital by training to become Lab Technicians, Surgery Assistants, Certified Nutrition Coaches, Certified Dental Hygienists, Groomers, and more!